The Jobshop Project (Phase 1)
Artisan Up-Skills Training in Scarce & Critical Skills
All under one roof, Job-Seeker Empowerment: Registration/RPL assessment; Up-skills training inc. on advanced machinery in scarce-skills in artisanal sectors; Hand-on training in our commercial manufacturing engineering centre
On-the-job training, promoting financial viability & long-term sustainability of Vukani's vital programmes; Placement of up-skilled work-seekers into gainful employment; Replication of the programmes to other vulnerable areas.
The Jobshop Phase I Pilot Project was conceived in 2012 and is now well under way in eMalahleni, Mpumalanga, where high concentration of heavy industries creates demand for well trained, skilled labour. The Jobshop is a result of a partnerships between Vukani-Ubuntu and FACON (an established, BEE compatible SMME steel engineering company), and also Vukani's other key stakeholder partners & funders. This project is beneficiating the large unemployed community made up of Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDIs), through providing essential training services directly to work seekers and to industry. The up-skills training is aligned with the national skills priorities, the NDP-2030, specific needs by Industry (via stakeholder engagement), and other important government goals – this is driving Vukani's strategy.
The Jobshop empowers and beneficiates 1200 primary & secondary beneficiaries, of whom 750 are women and 70 are people with disabilities.
Current research indicates that we can place about 40% of job-seekers directly into available jobs – provided they are assessed, graded and linked directly with job-providers. Hence, the activities are streamlined to provide job-placement assistance to about 600 job-seekers.
eMalahleni, Mpumalanga Province, South Africa
R800-k (Phase I)
2013 to Present
- Registration; Quick, Efficient RPL/assessment& grading of job-seekers.
- Up-Skills Training; Sort, Medium long-term training – Theory, Practical & Work-Place under one roof.
- Job-Placement; Job-placement of up-skilled job-seekers.
- Manufacturing; Income generation and hands-on, industry-based training.
- SMME & Entrepreneurship development.
- 100% B-BBEE: First fully black-ownedHeavy Steel-Manufacturing Facility (with export capacity) in Mpumalanga.
- 14 job-seekers placed in gainful employment, after facilitating RPL Assessments and CVs
- 12 successful candidates (6 female/6 male) trained in an introduction to life-skills, ICT Training and basic artisanal skills (bridging courses);
- The facility chosen by Vukani to set up The Jobshop Project has incubated a further 46 job-seekers in a variety of artisanal trades.